FOCUS 2015 - 2016
Climate change encircles the globe crying out for transformation in human behavior. We feel, we see, we know its devastating impact on our beautiful planet.
Theologian Hans Urs von Balthazar said “Before the beautiful – no, not before but within the beautiful – the whole person quivers.” May we quiver to the depths of our being within Earth's beauty so that with conviction we can say, “For me, hope is fundamentally inseparable from beauty, for beauty is a reminder that there is, in the words of Abraham Heschel, 'meaning beyond absurdity'.”
- Meghan Mitchell; Reflections: Yale Divinity School; Divine Radiance: Keeping Faith with Beauty; Spring 2015
“… God, you are present in the whole universe and in the smallest creatures. Pour out upon us the power of your love, that we may discover the worth of each thing, be filled with awe and contemplation, and recognize that we are profoundly united with each creature as we journey toward your infinite light….”
- Pope Francis, Laudato Sí!
- The Earth Community is an interconnected web of life.
- Life within the web is sustained by diversity.
- Every creature in the web deserves respect.
- Justice and peace are integral to the life of the web.
- Compassion toward all leads to healing and reconciliation.
- Creation tends toward communion whose ultimate expression is love.